Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Really Fun Day

It's a good thing I got up pretty early this morning because I decided to take my special recipe for baked beans to our Relief Society luncheon. It took me all morning and I took it out of the oven just barely in time to get there on time.

On the first Tuesday of each month, our Relief Society has a great pot luck luncheon. We had a big turn out too. We celebrate all the birthdays for the month by singing Happy Birthday to all. It was really quite amazing what a big variety of food we had. That doesn't always happen, but that's the fun of it.

It's a good thing we had a bunch of people there, because Penny, our president, was in the halls and she came upon about ten missionaries who had just come out of a meeting. They were talking about how hungry they were, so she invited them all to come to our birthday luncheon. I never saw such plates as they piled on. They managed to eat pretty much all of it and it was so fun to have them there. It was all very much worth the effort and my baked bean went over very well.

It was a beautiful day too. So much sun and it was a bit over seventy degrees. It may be the last we will see the sun for awhile. We are expecting a cold front to come in tonight and it could get down to freezing. I hope not because I hate to lose any of my lovely plants. I guess we can't expect to have perfect weather all the time. But when I read about all the freezing and ice in the midwest and being cold almost everywhere, I feel very fortunate to be able to live in this beautiful desert where it is absolutely perfect for me, even in the summer!!

7 comments:

  1. What a great idea of having a potluck RS luncheon on a set date every month! Perhaps you might want to share your baked beans recipe with us here in blogland?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really did sound like a fun day. How nice of you all to share with the missionaries. Good homemade baked beans are so good. Hope you have a great night tonight. Sweet dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm! Haven't had baked beans since last summer...it somehow seems a warm weather dish. It's COLD here, so 70 seems wonderful! Your sharing with the missionaries was a kind act but sounds like a winner for both sides! They enjoyed a great meal and you realized you did something kind in giving it to them and enjoyed their company. Sounds like a terrific afternoon in a win-win situation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those baked beans are the best ever. Share the recipe, Mom. Your readers will love it!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm! What a fun idea for RS! And how fun the missionaries got to join after their district meeting!
    I am so jealous of your warm weather. Seriously, I have deep CA envy going on right now. I hope it doesn't get too cold for you. I figure if I can't have warm weather, at least some of my friends should.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky lucky missionaries! I do love a good baked bean recipe so share Share SHARE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun idea for a Relief Society meeting. I loved it that you were able to feed those forever hungry missionaries. I used to be the Nurse for the Spokane Washington Mission and I loved working with them. At Zone meetings the RS would furnish the lunch and they always sang to the Sisters the hymn "Called To Serve" we were in tears every time.
    I remember the warm days of California. Yesterday, I felt like I was in Alaska instead of Salt Lake. I have two daughters in the Mid west so I know they are very cold along with a lot of snow.
    Blessings to you! I loved ready your post!
    LeAnn

    ReplyDelete