Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Back Home Again

Here I am again with my usual Tuesday evening post. It's good for me to just do this once a week, I think. It is just enough to keep me involved a bit and not too much for me to handle.

Our beach trip was way too short, I'm afraid. I had a really bad experience with my back. I wasn't meant to sleep with my dear husband on a queen sized bed, I'm afraid, since he needs three fourths of it. That only leaves me with a fourth and I usually try to sleep on the very edge of it. Unfortunately that means I have to sleep on my left side, which is not good for me. I woke up on Saturday with such pain in my back that I could barely get myself out of bed. We did manage to get over to the beach house (Sue's) but I was so miserable that after a few hours there trying to deal with my back and also the cold weather that everyone else thought was wonderful, I just decided that we would be so much better off if we just took off for home. So in the afternoon Dick started to pack all the things we had at the beach house, a special chair for me to sit in, my wheel chair and a few other items. Then we had to go back to Nancy's house where we had been sleeping (Nancy is my oldest daughter who lives in Huntington Beach just a few miles from Newport Beach) to get the rest of our stuff. We drove home and got here about 7:30 in the evening. I immediately started the heat/cold treatment with the heating pad and frozen gel packs and have actually been doing that since we got home except for today.

Today we went in the pool where I was able to do my exercises and afterwards went in the jacuzzi so that I could get a good water massage with each of the water outlets. When I got back in the house, I rubbed mineral ice all over my back as far as I could reach, and I really felt much better. I am going to do that every day until my back is all healed.

The sad thing, of course, is having to be here, thinking about all the family fun that I am missing. That is sad because I so wanted to be there for all the time that Sullivan was there. That little guy took to his Great Grandpa Robbins right off. I was warned that he likes men better than women so I understood. I was just barely getting him to sit on my lap for awhile before we had to leave. Who knows when I will see him next. He is doing so well though. His kidneys are working much better. I heard them talking about it to the gang, but unfortunately I couldn't really hear what was going on because I couldn't wear my hearing aids. There was just too much noise going all all the time and it is so amplified that I had to do without the aids as it hurt my ears too much to wear them. I am going to have to call to find out what the doctors said this last time he was seen by all of them. They do consider him a miracle child.

I am probably going to have trouble everytime I go to the beach now because I just can't seem to stand any degree of coldness. I just am so uncomfortable when I get so chilled. It just seems to go to all my bones. Everyone else was perfectly comfortable. The weather was typical though, cloudy until about noon when the sun finally came out to warm things up a bit. There was a breeze though most of the time and that just seemed to do me in. I may not be able to go there again. That's what happens when you get old and used to warm weather all the time. I am just not a very good at travelling anymore. Right now I feel like I never want to leave home again.

I am definitely going to go to Todd's white coat ceremony on August 5th though. I should be in pretty good shape by then and I am so looking forward to this. We were all so emotionally drained while waiting the verdict which would impact Todd so very much. It was the most amazing feeling when we all found out that everything was going to be okay and that he would be able to start medical school as planned. I hope I never have to go through such a terrible time again as long as I live.

I think I have sat is this chair as long as I should so will sign off, hoping this finds all of you, my wonderful blogging friends feeling well.

Love,

Darlene

7 comments:

  1. I am so sad that you had to leave your family event. I know your pain; I hurt my back recently and had to do the same thing. Just keep on treating your back with loving kindness. Both my Mother and two Aunts have had lower back problems for years; so I guess I get to join the group. It isn't fair sometimes to get older and not to be able to enjoy all the things you would like too. I am sure you did enjoy some precious moments.
    Keep enjoying that pool and jacuzzi and you should be up and going good by Aug.5th.
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm sad for you that you had to leave early, but happy that you got to go for a short while anyway. I know how much you wanted to be there and especially to see baby Sullivan.

    I have back pain at times but have never tried mineral ice. I will pick some up next time I'm at Target to have on hand here. I have back aches at times and my husband is suffering with it now.

    No you sure don't want to miss August 5th!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're all missing you mom, and we're glad that you're finally getting some relief with your back.

    Hopefully you will be feeling much better by the time we see you on the 5th.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh darn it, Darlene! I was so disappointed to hear that you weren't there anymore. LaMar and I are going down tonight and I made a bunch of hand pies for everyone - Blueberry-Peach and Strawberry. Back problems are the worst - sometimes my arthritis settles in my back and then I have problems too. We found an amazing gel through our chiropractor - Biofreeze. He charges about $15 for a tube but we Googled it and found it much cheaper online. Great stuff - like Mineral Ice on steroids. I also do some yoga stretches (easy ones) EVERY morning. Helps a lot. Yoga is wonderful for back problems. Just some simple easy things - no bending into a pretzel.
    So pleased about Todd - I had a good feeling about it and was so happy to have a happy outcome. I wish we could have gone to my son in law's White Coat Ceremony but it was in Puerto Rico. You'll enjoy it - it's a great day, and so impressive to see them in their "Docta" coats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dango Darlene, you were so looking forward to spending family time...geez, my hubby is a Chiropractor and I know he would be able to get you up and feeling great..Karen is right, biofreeze is great and he doesn't charge that much for his! I have relatives in Calif., maybe we need to take a trip and bring the biofreeze out to you! Now, that would be fun! I hope you're feeling better soon and I'm just thrilled about Todd getting into Med school next month. I know you'll enjoy his ceremony! Good night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, sweet Darlene I am so sorry your beach trip was cut short but glad you at least got to spend some time with little Sullivan. It is wonderful he is doing so well. I was thrilled to find out that all went well with Todd too and thankful he can go on to medical school now. Hugs and get your back all better so you will be comfortable for Todd's great ceremony.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dear friend Darlene oh how I hated reading this about your back hurting you so badly that you were forced to go home. I was excited for you getting to go and was praying you would be fine while there.
    So hope by the time you read this comment that your back has given you the relief you so deserve and that by the 5th you can enjoy Todd's celebration.
    Like you I can not stand any kind of cold now and as much as this 100 degree weather keeps me inside a lot I still prefer it over rainy cold winters. lol
    What I wish is that you and I were sitting together now with a nice glass of something cool with our feet propped up and us laughing. Boy could we talk and talk. I have so much I would love to say to you and to hear about you and your family. Hopefully one day this will happen. In the mean time I have to settle for our blogging. lol
    Your such a lovely lady and so kind to send me such a sweet comment about my loosing my job. I wish I could tell you in words how much your words meant to me.
    Stay well my dear Darlene and know that this ole friend in Texas thinks of you often and wishes you pain free Happy Days.
    Love ya
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete