Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Great Concert For Me Tonight

So glad I am feeling well enough to go to THE concert tonight. We have had the tickets for ages, and it is a sell out. I never thought I would ever get to hear Itzhak Perlman in person in my lifetime, but he will be here tonight for one night only!!

That man is so brilliant! He plays with such ease that it never fails to astound me whenever I have been fortunate enough to catch him on television. Of course I listen to his recordings often, but it is so much better to be able to watch him. Being a violinist myself, I can so appreciate his technique and interpretation.

When I had to give up playing the violin, it was like a death. I truly mourned it and for a very long time I couldn't even listen to a violin recording or even a symphony without crying. It was a very sad day in my life when my arthritis got so bad. I had to sell my Galliano, my gorgeous Italian violin, because it is not good to store them away. They need to be played in order to keep their best tone. When in museums, they pay people to come in and play them. That would be a great job, to my way of thiking.

I am really excited and just pray that I don't take a coughing fit while there. I'll go prepared with cough drops, ice water and kleenex, just in case. I am over the cold, however. It is just the asthma that is left and I am combating that pretty well with my blast of prednisone. The only thing is that it does make me shaky and full of false energy. I am getting my house cleaned pretty well, but tire out quickly.

Later!

8 comments:

  1. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! I am so glad you are feeling better and feel up to going. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treat for you! And I am so glad you are feeling well enough to go. Having a cold is the pits. Enjoy it with all your heart! You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy the music of the master, Darlene! I didn't know that about violins, but I suppose it's true of all instruments. They need to be played. So glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Darlene, how exciting! You had a Gagliano? When DH and I were first married, I worked for a violin maker in Philadelphia. Those old Italian instruments are just magnificent! But you are right, they do need to be played. Enjoy the concert, and don't forget to tell us all about it! Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you come back and let us know how that concert is. I always bring a supply of cough drops, tissue, water, even crackers when I go to concerts or plays. I try to be prepared for anything.

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your violin had the most beautiful tone ever, Mom. And you played it exquisitely.

    I'm so glad you are getting to go to your concert, and I know you will be in heaven listening to Perlman!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanx for a new artist to go find and listen to. I love violin music but haven't been able to find the time to find a lot of masters. Hope you enjoy your concert!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this would be just a magnificent night and hope you are able to enjoy it as such!! To have to give up your violin must have been excruciating so to hear Perlman will be a soother. Hoping you have the time of your life!!!!! (and no coughing!!)

    ReplyDelete