Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Jam-packed Weekend

I'm going to do something I swore I would never do again. Maybe Tuesday nights are not such a good time for me to post on my blog. Every Tuesday evening Dick goes over to the church for a fun evening. His financial clerk comes and the Bishopric is there . After Dick and Cole (his financial clerk) get all the work done they have to do, they just visit with everyone who comes into the office. There are always a lot of people there because it is the night our youth meet at the church. After Cole leaves the Bishopric have an impromtu meeting which is totally informal. They have such a great time together--all of them have a great sense of humor and whenever they get together anything can happen. I hasten to add that when they have their formal Bishopric meeting at 6:30 a.m. every Sunday morning it is strictly business. Sometimes on Tuesdays Dick doesn't get home until 10:30 p.m. and then we watch the Dancing with the Stars reveal. The reason I hesitate to do this blog tonight is that I had made up my mind not to post directly to my blog because I have so often lost the whole thing when my computer does crazy things. ( I think I need to correct that last sentence to call the computer Dicks, instead of mine, because I refuse to admit any ownership of this hateful machine! Whenever anything does go wrong, I have to yell for Dick and when he isn't here, I am beyond frustrated. I am going to apologize in advance right here for any typos because the one thing I am not going to do is edit this. Whenever I do, that's when I get into trouble most. So sorry everyone.

Having said all that, I should get on with it and start with Saturday when I made chocolate krispy treats and oatmeal cookies. It was just part of getting ready for Sue and the gang. Dave loves to have a couple of oatmeal cookies with his non fat milk(ugh) before he goes to bed at night. At home, he gets the kind you buy at the store, so I try to have that special treat for him when he comes here. I freeze a lot of things before they come so I don't have to do that much cooking and baking while they are here.

Sunday was really a hard day. Dick gets up at 5:00a.m. and leaves at 6:00 after waking me up. I may have mentioned that I can't hear the alarm clock which is right next to my side of the bed. It is pretty soft but I don't want to replace it because it has these great big numbers which I can read in the middle of the night if I wake up. I know, I could probably find one that would be loud and still give me the great big numbers, but who wants to go shopping for an alarm clock??

We left right after Sacrament meeting to take the Sacrament to one of the sisters that Dick and I visit and home teach. She has been too ill to come to church and she doesn't feel comfortable when the young men come. This is the first time we have done it, but I don't think it will be the last as she really did appreciate it. She feels very comfortable with us. Dick took me home right after that because I always have to go home after Sacrament Meeting. I just can't sit through more than one meeting on Sunday. I usually try to go to Relief Society at least once a month and then I have to skip Sacrament Meeting. My back and legs just won't take those benches for much longer than an hour. He came home just in time to change his clothes and we were off to Riverside (about an hour and a half from our house) to attend an engagement party for our grandson and his fiance. It was so very windy that Dick really hated to go. He was very tired and we knew that the wind would be bad going through the pass which takes us out of our beautiful valley. We had winds up to 50 and 60 miles an hour. Whenever you are driving an SUV this is not much fun for the driver. Even though ours is a small one, we really did rock and roll. It was 70 degrees (can you imagine this in Palm Springs in the middle of May?) when we left here and about 58 degrees when we got there. They had put up a very very large canopy and the winds were so bad they had tied it to the fence with bungee cords. Talk about problems. Everything on the many many tables they had so beautifully arranged with pictures of the couple, centerpieces etc. that kept falling over. They had tried to tape the tablecloths to the undersides of the tables. Nothing was working well. About half way through the whole thing came tumbling down and fell apart. What a mess. I felt so sorry for the hosts. They had such wonderful food, barbecued ribs, corn on the cob, meat balls, hamburgers and hot dogs. Believe me, no one went away hungry from that place. The theme was western and they had this humongous big cake in the shape of boot. Dick said it should have been their wedding reception instead of just an engagement party. The biggest surprise of all though, was that our youngest daughter, Jayne, who lives in Salt Lake was flown in by her oldest sister so that she could be with the happy couple. Jayne is very very close to Nancy's four boys and so Nancy felt it just wouldn't seem right without Jayne being there. I was so surprised I almost fainted into her arms. What a great surprise!! Imagine how I would have felt if we hadn't come.

Monday was also a bit crazy. I had to go to the doctor in the morning and Dick had to go to the dentist in the afternoon. Dick was hoping he could help me with my peripheral neuropathy. We had been to a presentation at our hospital by a pain specialist. He mentioned that the only thing left for the pain if neurontin didn't work (which it hasn't for me) was a tens unit implant (which seems to be working for Jerry Lewis) was a very addictive drug called Methadone. It is a drug that they give to heroin addicts when they try to go off that horrible drug. I told my doctor that I absolutely didn't want to take Methadone. He asked me why and I said, " I don't want to become a drug addict." his answer to me was "why not?" Boy did that shake me up a bit until I got thinking that after all I am 84 years old and if I do get addicted, what difference will it really make? I have a couple of meds that I will be taking for the rest of my life, so what would one more matter, if it did help me. He actually talked me into trying it. I started it this morning. I took a pill ( the directions are to take two a day, but he wanted to start me out on one) and it really didn't do much until noon, when it really hit me. Honestly, I started to feel so weird. I honestly felt that I was high on that drug. The pain went away, and I have been on high all day and it is noq 8:30p.m. and I am still feeling it. You just can't imagine how much work I have done though. The only thing is I have had to move carefully or else I would get quite dizzy, but it really did work for me. The only thing is I am definitely not going to take it every day. It will be great though to have it when I am having a really bad day, only the next time I take it, I will only take a half.

And now, believe it or not, nothing has happened so I think I'd better quit while I am ahead. Remember now, I didn't edit this so there are bound to be many typos. I do type quite fast, but I think though, that I will probably continue to do these posts just once a week .........and likely on Tuesday.

Love to all of you,




  1. It's crazy that you are allergic to every single pain medication now. If the methadone works for your pain and you take only a low dose as needed, then I would give it a try. On those really bad days, you will be glad to have it.

    Be careful not to fall though if you are feeling dizzy...And also, be sure not to overdo when you are pain-free and thereby make your pain worse for the next day.

    Love you.


  2. My dear Darlene I laughed at the first part of this and then when you started talking about your pain and having to take the BIG Drug I felt so bad for you. I agree with Sue you will be glad to have it on those really bad days which we both know are unbearable sometimes. I hate thinking of you in pain.
    I love reading your post. I feel like I am right there with you sitting at your table and us having a visit.
    If you had typos I did not notice. Your writing is so enjoyable who cares if you do ...lol
    The party must of be something with all the winds but so glad your other granddaughter was able to surprise everyone. I know you were more than delighted you went.
    When and if I ever get this back problem of mine solved I hope some day to surprise you or you and Dick surprise me. Would love to meet you in person.
    Today I can barely walk but I made myself get my uniform on and I only have my boots to put on then I am going to try to work today. I was up all night in pain from working yesterday but who knows what would happen if I don't go in...will they fire me or what. I intend to find out today because me and the Captain are having a talk.
    Usually I don't get on here before I go to work but I thought about you during the night when I was wide awake and I thought I am writing her before I leave so glad I did because I enjoyed coming by here so much.
    Your hubby sounds like he really enjoyes his Tuesdays at Church. What a blessing you two are to everyone especially this ole grandma
    Love ya Darlene

  3. Wow--you have been up to a lot of different things!
    I'm with Sue on the meds.

    Is it okay that your theory on taking them made me smile?
    You are a definite example to me of doing things even when you don't want to and the good things that come because of it!

    Thanx for sharing!

  4. Darlene - I'm with you on the pain meds. I don't like to take any more than I have to either, but if this is doing you good, then give it a try! It's kind of a domino effect: if you feel less pain, you have less stress, you get more and better sleep, which boosts your health and well being. You're a busy lady with lots of family, and I'm sure you don't want to miss a thing or suffer needlessly. By the way, those tens units? My company makes them. I hope this new drug will work for you - maybe take it less often or a half dose? Good luck!

  5. You have such a great way of writing, that I enjoy every word. Writers obviously run in your family.

    I just finished making Krispy Treats too this morning for my YW tonight...but just the regular kind. Perhaps I should have added melted choc chips on top like I guess you did.

    Sue had good advice about the pain med you took yesterday. What has really helped my husband and I with pain is Curamin by 'Terry Naturally' from the health food store. Dennis has been able to get off vicodin for his awful shoulder pain because of the Curamin...it works that well. And no side effects. Just a thought.

  6. O.K.... you had me in stitches with your graphic explanation of the engagement party and just when I thought your blog would settle down you told us about the new drug and being worried about addiction. Oh how I miss not being able to have our chats in person like the good old days. We did have a few laughs yesterday on the phone when you told me about the methadone. What would life be if we didn't have humor??? BORING!!! Love You

  7. Hi Darlene! Your post made me smile and laugh. I love how you go through the days and describe your life....so cute. That engagement party made me think of my son's wedding reception. They wanted a simple backyard barbeque at our home. But my Sister and I thought it would be fun to do a luau theme. It was beautiful...big white tent, fountain in the middle of the white tablecloth tables with tons of flowers everywhere, leis on the back of the white covered chairs..little tiki torches on all the tables..a flowered covered arch that the guests walked through to get to the tent...music..lovely..then the tornado hit. The End....have a great week!

  8. So many thoughts, Darlene! First, if you take enough not overdoing the pain meds, then you can stay ahead of it and get conitrol. Otherwise it is so wearing! I hate taking too much also so I know what you mean.

    I love the way you write and describe the party and the Tuesday nights! I have to tell you that when you said you have computer problems and have to call the computer Dicks....I thought you meant "detectives".....ha! Maybe you need that too!

  9. I loved your post as usual. You are one busy 84 year old. I admire you and all that you get done.
    I love that you do your thing while your husband is at the church; perfect time. I have done the same thing. I actually get the remote to watch whatever I want if I am doing TV time.
    I do have to agree with the doctor. You need to enjoy your life free of pain as much as you can. I have an aunt who is 97 years old and she was worried about getting addicted to a pain med; and I told her hey, you need to enjoy your life.
    Keep enjoying those moments; I love reading about them.