Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Another Tuesday

I'm going to try to post another picture of the flowers I arranged from two of my birthday arrangements, one I posted last week that were sent me from my Dallas neices and the other was a dozen long stemmed red roses. I had to take all the flowers out from both vases because the roses died. I started all over because the stems had to be recut on the bottoms so that the water would absorb into the flowers again. It really works to change the water each day too. I used a lot of greenery from the roses and put them all in the smaller vase. Okay, so now I will have to admit a little known secret. I used to do flower arranging professionally. When we lived here in the desert, our best friends owned the Palm Springs Florist. So every holiday daughter Nancy and I would work in the shop, Nancy answering phones and waiting on customers and I arranging flowers. I loved it, but my family never knew what it was to have me home for ANY of the holidays. Even when we moved back to the Los Angles area, I traveled back here for all of the holidays, barely getting home in time for the day, Christmas Day, Thansgiving Day, Easter etc. That went on for many years. In fact, I can't remember when I actually stopped doing it!!! It was some time after my first husband (the father of my children) and I divorced. In fact, strangely, today would have been our 67th anniversary had we stayed married! He left me the evening of Nancy's wedding reception. He brought his girl friend to it and a couple of hours into the evening, he went upstairs and gathered all his clothes and stuff and left........that was the beginning of her marriage and the end of ours. Actually, he did me the greatest thing ever, because I would never have left him on my own, and many good things happened after, like meeting Dick and having a whole different kind of life.

I must say, today I finally decided I was getting a little better and to celebrate that, I had Dick take me birthday shopping. We left the house around 11:00am and we didn't get home until almost 5:00p.m. We did have a nice long lunch in between though or I don't think Dick would ever have made it. He had to push me in my wheel chair most of the time, but I did go into one store walking. If I had known I would have had to walk so long, I would have skipped it, but who knew I wouldn't be able to get one of those electric gizmos to ride at Target. It was the first time I experienced having them all taken. Two were being charged and the others were all gone. I did get a lot of walking in and had to hang on to Dick so it wasn't that great for him. He was exhausted too by the time we got home. I was fairly successful thoough. I got a very pretty blouse to wear with my white skirt that Sue sent me for no reason other than the fact that she knew I had been looking for one for a long time. I also got a polo shirt, a new bra and some candy. We also did a little grocery shopping and went to a drug store. I got my clothes at Kohl's and I have to tell you, I honestly hate that store!!! It has way too much merchandise, there are so many clothes that are either sleeveless, straps only or barely there clothes. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if you were just browsing, but if you are looking for something specific, it's totally awful. Dick absolutely hates to go there too. I was looking for things I saw in their Sunday advertising. There were about five other things I rejected when I saw them, mostly because they didn't fit right. I got so tired of trying on clothes. I just didn't have enough energy to try another store. I used to have it so made when Jayne worked at Mervyn's. I would do my major shopping once a year and I would just sit in the try on room and Jayne would bring me all the things to try on. She has such a great sense of style and she really is a whizz at coordinating. I will have to go back to doing that again this summer because she will be the store manager of a brand new Marshall's opening just about ten minutes from where she lives. She has been commuting about an hour each morning to the very first Marshall's store in Utah, where she has been training to manage the new store in Murray. I can't remember the name of the town, but it is the next one after Bountiful, north of Salt Lake. They start working to stock the store in Murray today and it will have their grand opening on May 19th. She will be so happy to have her own store again. She does love working in retail, but oh, the hours she has had to work.

My goodness, I thought this would be a very short post, but look what has happened. Time for me to stop. Until next Tuesday, thanks to all of you for all the cards and messages sent my way, not only for my birthday, but for me to get well. Love..................Darlene


  1. Glad you felt well enough to go shopping, Mom. And it's cool that you found a top to go with the white skirt!


  2. Hi Darlene, I had a comment all typed and I minimized it when the vet came to the door and when I return to post, it vanished.

    I learned something new today, I didn't know that you were a professional florist. What a nice job that must have been. Your bouquet looks so nice.

    I'm so glad that Dick is looking after you like a queen but I'm sorry that you are having difficulty getting around shopping. You are lucky that Dick goes with you shopping though. Some men wouldn't be so thoughtful. I glad that you found a blouse to go with your white skirt.

    Take care and have some rest. Hugs. JB

  3. You can be quite the shopper. You must really be feeling better since you were out and about for 6 hours! That's wonderful. I know just what you mean about Kohls. I also don't like the fact that they hand out Kohls cash....or whatever they call it. Someone's got to pay for that which is evident in their high pricing!

    Interesting how life turns out. I'm sure when your first husband walked out on you it was devastating...especially how he chose to do it! That was beyond cruel. But now you have such a devoted sweetheart.

  4. You've been a flower arranger as well?!? There's nothing you can't do, it seems! I'm so glad you found some new clothes that you like. I don't like shopping much either. I would like it to just come to me. In fact, I need to go out today and I keep putting it off.
    I'm so glad you're feeling better - that makes me very happy! Your flowers were just beautiful. Fresh flowers are such a treat!

  5. Darlene, you really crack me up! I learn something new every time you post. You are so talented in so many areas and now flower arranging too? They look beautiful and it's so great to have them last longer when you know how to take care of them properly. Next week you're not going to casually say "I used to be an astronaut...a spy...a pilot..a can can dancer..." are you? I wouldn't be surprised if you did! You're awesome! The big joke at work is announcing when Kohls is having a sale..which is every day. Dick is such a great guy to go shopping for all that time. Jack usually goes and sits in the car when I clothes shop! Your story of your first husband reminds me of the old saying about God never closes a door without opening a window..too bad your first husband didn't just fall out of the open window!

  6. I love reading about your adventures. The picture of the flowers was lovely. I am so happy you were feeling well enough to get out and do some shopping. I always enjoy reading about your life. I think it is awesome that you arranged flowers. I am also happy for you that you have that wonderful husband of yours. I love how he cares so tenderly for you. Hugs and blessings to you both!

  7. Honey your flowers are so lovely. I am so glad I came by tonight and read this post. It is always good to read how your doing and about your life.
    How interesting that you helped with flower arrangements all those years.
    I am sitting here in disgust over reading about how your first husband left you. To do it on that day is incredible. Did not realize how much you and I have in common with men. Except I have not met a sweet guy like you have. Thank God you have and that your happy now.
    I came by to tell you that after reading your comment on my site tonight I looked and looked for the email you told me to answer but I can't find one from you. Did you send it to grandmayellowhair@gmail.com
    I will try again tomorrow but I just could not find it tonight. I don't ever want to miss a note from you. lol
    I love hearing from you

  8. Girl, is there anything ya can't do!!! What a beautiful arrangement of flowers and thanks for the keepin' tips!!!

    I do love to read 'bout your wonderful adventures swweetie!

    God bless ya and have a fantastic weekend dear one! :o)

  9. The flowers were nice, and no florist can say anything else!You seem to have had an active life so far, so keep it up :-)
    Take care of yourself!

  10. Your flowers STILL look beautiful. Good job at keeping them in mint condition. Sorry I missed your call last week. K.C. and I were in Cabo. Got home late last night. Had a great time. Hard to come back to reality. We need to talk soon.

  11. OK....watch those "4-letter" words. Loved your post on Sue's blog...both of them!